Q11. I’m unhappy with this approach so can I escalate to OFWAT?

It is important to note that OFWAT is the economic regulator for public water
companies in England and Wales. As your services are delivered by a private network,
OFWAT have no direct relationship with the company providing services to your property.
However, if you are unhappy with your charges, or if you wish to escalate a customer
complaint you can contact the MOD’s Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) at:
DIORDPFI-AquaCustEscalation@mod.gov.uk This mailbox is monitored by the DIO and
any emails sent to this address will be answered by an email, or by direct contact if you’d